life is always about the journey...

Monday, April 22, 2013

Bust a Move!





 Week 4 of Workouts

So I'm on week 4 of my workouts...its been tough..I won't lie.  I'm not gonna lie about how easy it was to get back into the routine, how much I love working out and blah blah blah cuz its just all not, period.  I am sore most days STILL...I push myself on each workout a little more than I did the day before...I want to make sure I'm getting all the BANG for my BUCK if ya KWIM LOL!  **NOTE:  On my water drinking...I'm actually doing amazingly well I say...I am drinking 5-6 glasses of water a day, one juice and then a Cherry Coke every other day.  I'd like to cut back to just 1-2 sodas a week period but in time.  And for those that miss the caffeine...well you can buy caffeine pills...yes you can and they work.  So if I feel like I'm dragging I will pop a caffeine pill although I've only taken 2 in 4 weeks so far, but its a good alternative without turning to soda or coffee.


But I will tell you that I am feeling stronger and healthier.  My muscles always do better and feel less tense when I lift weights and get stronger...I also sit up straighter and feel my abs pulling in a bit.  I will say I do enjoy lifting weights...my body responds to it pretty quickly and its nice to feel strong again.  My stamina is slowly picking up and I'm able to do more each workout and even though I'm sweating buckets AND cussing out the TV and huffing and puffing, I know its all worth it.


So how do I do my workouts?  Well I will tell you I'm not a big gym junkie...I have nothing against them but I feel I can do just as much at my house....making it easier to fit in workouts when I can and not have to always plan a trip to the gym.  I'm also TERRIBLE at classes...I'm the girl in the back that isn't too coordinated, that's probably talking to herself and huffing LOL.  So I prefer to do DVDs down in my rec room where no one can see me...then if I am off a count I'm not messing up the whole room of exercisers...you feel me?  Plus I can go longer if I feel like or take a 5 sec breather if need be without everyone lookin at me thinkin' I'm a wimpy-woo LOL.  So you don't have to be a member of a gym to get a good workout.  My "gym" has bands, hand weights (2 lbs, 5 lbs & 10 lbs), a Bosu, a Step, a Bar and then I also have a treadmill and elliptical machines.  So I always do Jillian Michaels DVDs...they work great for me, I get in shape quickly and then I'm able to add on as I want.  Then I might start adding on more treadmill or elliptical time after I do a workout.  And here's a note for you....my TV downstairs is 80"...so yeah Jillian is life-size...she's SCARY hee hee!



These 2 videos are my standby's...the ones that I know work and are tough enough to get me in shape but enough variety that I don't get bored.  I don't like to do 40 or 60 mins of just ONE thing...ugh.  So these are 25 min sessions each, 3 sessions total.  So I do Level 1 for a week, then Level 2, then Level 3...then I switch it up and do Levels 1 & 2 together or 2 & 3 together.  And I alternate between these two videos...its a great mix of weight lifting, abs & cardio and it WORKS if you  are consistent with it.  And come on...everyone can fit in at least 25 mins a few times a week.  I do my workouts later in the day...I'm not a morning gal...so I usually work out between 3 and 4:30. That way I'm finished up before the teens get home and I can get a quick shower before dinner.  But some days I wait for Alexa to get home at 4:30 and we work out together, it just depends.


Then once I start feeling stronger I start adding in some kick-boxing routines to amp up the stamina and calorie burn.  This is 3 sessions on one DVD...each session is HARD...but once you get thru one session it gets easier to add on each time until you do the whole DVD.  And yes you will lay on the floor in a puddle of sweat, face bright red and cussin' Jillian out....errrr well at least I am LOL!


And then when you want to add some more moves to your routine, you can add this DVD in.  My problem child is my abs....after 2 kids and multiple stomach surgeries its extremely hard to get it toned and I don't want any muffin top over my jeans.  I may never have a stomach that looks like Jillian's but I do want a stomach that is strong, no layer of fat and that will carry me through each day well.  A strong core helps a multitude of body problems including keeping my lower back pain at bay. 


And I'm no seller of Jillian's stuff...I don't get any commissions LOL...I'm just a gal who has done them and had success and they work for me.  Its all about what works for YOU to make it work period.  But dammit...I plan on being around this earth a darn long time...to raise as much ruckus as I can LOL...so I gotta be healthy as I can be! :)

I have a cardio dance and Zumba DVD coming to me courtesy of Amazon.com...we shall see how I do with those.  NO hidden video cameras puh-leeze ;)

So what kind of workout works best for you?


Share:

3 comments

  1. I am a gym person all the way. Yes, I have to get out to get there but they have everything I need but I don't have all that equipment in my home. Working out definitely does make you feel better whether you like it or not and should be a part of everyone's life just like going to school or work. LS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Suzanne. Sounds like you are getting the benefit you're looking for in staying healthy and fit.
    Believe it or not, I used to be a licensed Aerobics instructor many years ago when the Gyms were just starting out. I worked full time in the corporate world and held classes at Lady Fitness in the evenings and on weekends. Now-a-days, I use the treadmill at home and do strength training with my DVDs. I love Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper both. But my most enjoyable exercise is horseback riding by practicing Western and English event exercises. You would not believe how much strength, endurance and aerobic toning it can provide for the body. Love working the ranch.
    Hugz and healthy progress to you...
    Cathy Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to do some exercise - I try to walk most days but I need to do more

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me, I hope I made you smile or inspired you in some way! I appreciate you stopping by!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig