life is always about the journey...

Monday, May 12, 2014

Score For Less!



SCORE FOR LESS!

I love looking at catalogs, magazines and online stores for home decor....I do it everyday always searching for fun ideas to add to my home.  Lots of times though the prices don't go along with the budget so I either TRY to forget about it...or brainstorm a cheaper way to make it.
Or beg the hubs....that doesn't always work though ;)


About 2 months ago I saw this picture above in a magazine (I cannot for the life of me remember where) and they wanted $75 for this...OMG!  No way!  And I've seen similar ones on Etsy since then for $40-65 as well...too rich for my blood!  I knew it would be perfect for the center of my kitchen table during the Spring & Summer filled with blooms from my garden (or the store..hahaha).  So I did what I could....and asked my mom if my dad could make it for me LOL!  

So my dad made it for me for my birthday and I LOVE IT!  



My dad used some kind of exotic wood from Africa that he had leftover from a project...its super heavy and sturdy but you could use anything you had on hand.  He stained it a nice color that matches the other woods in my house but you could paint yours a color if you choose.  
I'm thinking about distressing it with a chain & hammer just a bit and adding some Annie Sloan dark wax to it...do NOT tell my dad cuz' he will DIE if he knew I wanted it distressed hahahaha!  
The vases I got at the Dollar Store for a total of $6 and he cut the holes in the wood to fit them specifically.  I went back and bought 6 more JUST IN CASE we have any breakages...always be prepared!


Of course I had to pop some tulips in it because they are my favorite flower.  And they matched my new yellow table coverings that I just got as well.  Nice & cheery...makes me happy!


Gorgeous right?  I just love it!!  And at a total cost of $6 for me its a definite SCORE!
I had my dad drill the holes a bit deeper because I have 6 CATS...that like to jump and eat flowers...so I couldn't have vases wobbling around.





I just love these yellow placemats with a bit of a ruffle to them...a bit more feminine and perfect for summer!  The runner came from Amazon.com and I adore the sunny yellow print!


See that rug under my table...I love it but its over 10 years old and has basically seen the last of its good life.  So I have a new rug coming from Ballard Designs this week that I will share once its in place.  Think sea grass with terracotta designs......

*********

Share:

9 comments

  1. I like the one your dad made better than the inspiration one. Won't you dad see that you have distressed it when he comes to visit?
    Anyhow, your secret is safe with me! hahahahahah!

    Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever girl - buying extras of the vases. I love this - the knock-off is better than the original.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like the one your dad made better. It's beautiful and those slim vases are perfect for it! It's such a simple but beautiful way to dress up a table. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous piece, Suzanne. Your table looks so Springy. I love things like this that can be easily DIY. So inexpensive. Can't wait to see the new rug!
    Hugz,
    Cath

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty. And what a clever dad you have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely tablescape, I love the yellow and white place mats. Actually the centrepiece was what caught my eye at Savvy Southern Style as I have just written a post about a kitchen renovation and in the centre of the kitchen island they put a recess so they could sit pots of herbs. Your centrepiece was a somewhat similar idea.

    Lee :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tell your Dad, I think his design is 100% better than the magazine's display. Lovely Suzanne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree! This is much better than the inspiration. :) Also, congrats because you are featured on this week's Do Tell Tuesday link party and have been pinned to our features board! Feel free to grab a button and link up this week too. :) http://www.vintagezest.com/2014/05/do-tell-tuesday-24-with-features-new-co.html

    Diane @ Vintage Zest

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me, I hope I made you smile or inspired you in some way! I appreciate you stopping by!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig